When eating out and trying to find good, low calorie Chinese foods, I usually end up ordering the chicken and broccoli, as it’s typically one of the lighter options on the menu. My boredom with this dish inspired me to play around with some ingredients and see if I could come up with a new twist on this popular Chinese food recipe. And that’s how this Lemon Garlic Chicken and Broccoli Recipe was born! This fresh and light meal idea is full of flavor and zing, and is sure to a be a hit with the whole family. With just a 3 Points + per serving, this chicken and broccoli recipe makes a great low calorie dinner idea that is quick and easy to prepare. Enjoy!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Recipe with Broccoli
A tasty, low calorie Lemon Garlic Chicken recipe that has just 3 Points + per serving. It’s fresh and light, and a much healthier version than the one you’d order for takeout.
- 16 oz uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- On a plate, combine 2 tablespoons of flour, ½ salt, and ¼ tsp pepper; add chicken and turn to coat.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes; remove to a plate.
- Put 1 cup of broth and garlic in same skillet; bring to a boil over high heat, scrapping up browned bits from bottom of pan with a wooden spoon. Add broccoli and artichokes; cover and cook 1 minute.
- Stir together remaining broth, flour and salt & pepper in a small bowl; add to skillet and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Cover and cook until broccoli is crisp-tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in chicken and lemon zest; heat through.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice; toss to coat.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 177 calories; 2g fat; 5g carbohydrates; 30g protein; 4g fiber