Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting – 4 Points +
OK people, I know it’s hot outside, but these Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting are so worth turning on your oven for. Moist and fluffy, it’s hard to believe that each cupcake is just 4 Points +. Made with a lot of fresh ingredients and no artificial sweeteners, the end result is a sweet and tasty cupcake that is so soft and delicious. My two year old will even eat these without the frosting! Just by making a few healthier changes to a traditional carrot cake recipe, I was able to shave off a lot of extra fat and calories with very little compromise in taste. They make a great low fat dessert recipe to serve anytime. Enjoy!
Carrot Cake Cupcakes Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting
Try this tasty low calorie dessert recipe to satisfy your sweet tooth. These Carrot Cake Cupcakes are just 4 Points + each, and that includes the homemade cream cheese frosting! Definitely a healthier version than traditional Carrot Cake Cupcake Recipes.
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute (I used Eggbeaters)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, grated
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 ½ tsp grated orange zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese, room temp
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, room temp
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fat free milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, light brown sugar, carrots, apple, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, beat together the liquid egg substitute and applesauce. Stir this mixture into the flour mixture.
- Evenly spoon the batter into the cupcake cups and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25-30 minutes.
- After letting the pan cool for about 5 minutes, remove the cupcakes from the pan and cool completely on a rack.
- To make frosting, mix the cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and milk, using an electric mixer. Beat until smooth and creamy. Evenly spread frosting over cupcakes.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 12 cupcakes
Serving size is 1 frosted cupcake
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 176 calories, 2 g fat; 26 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 2 g fiber