Indian Spiced Lentils Recipe – 5 Points +
A delicious and healthy recipe, these Indian Spiced Lentils make a great main course or as a low side dish recipe. They are loaded with fiber and protein, making this a very filling and satisfying dish. For a couple more Points Plus, you can add in some chicken breast, but primarily, it makes a great, well balanced Vegan Weight Watchers Recipe. The delicious Indian flavors are what makes this Indian Spiced Lentils recipe so yummy and palatable. And with each nice sized serving having just 5 Points +, it’s a great bargain for all the nutrition it packs in. This one definitely remains as one of my favorite Weight Watchers Indian Food Recipes.
Indian Spiced Lentils Recipe
Got a craving for Indian food, but don’t want to use up a ton of your daily Points Plus allowance? Try these Indian Spiced Lentils, and get a tasty, healthy Indian food recipe that has just 5 Points + for each big serving. It makes a delicious Vegan or Vegetarian Weight Watchers Recipe to serve up as a low calorie main course or side dish.
- 1 cup brown rice (I recommend basmati)
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 limes, halved
- According to package instructions, prepare the brown rice.
- Spray a large saucepan with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Add in the onion, ginger, and garlic and cook until onion is softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the turmeric, cumin, and salt and cook for another minute.
- Stir in cauliflower and tomatoes and sauté for another 3 minutes, then add in the broth and lentils and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer about 30-40 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in the rice and cilantro and squeeze in the juice from the lime halves.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Indian (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 220 calories; 1g fat; 36g carbohydrates; 12g protein; 8g fiber