With the holidays quickly approaching, I’ve been in the kitchen experimenting with some delicious low calorie ideas for Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Recipes, and I am having way too much fun with this! One of my personal favorites is candied yams. I never liked them much as a child, but as an adult, I grew to love them. But with the amount of butter and sugar in most traditional candied yams recipes, the Points Plus count would be way out of control. This lower calorie version still uses all of the essential ingredients (can’t skimp on those!), but with just a few tweaks to make them more Weight Watchers friendly. Each serving is just 5 Points +, and that’s for 3/4 cup, which is a pretty decent serving size for a side dish. If you want candied yams on your table this Thanksgiving, these are a must try.
Low Calorie Candied Yams Recipe
A must have Weight Watchers Thanksgiving Recipe, these low calorie sweet potatoes have all the traditional flavors you love, but half the fat and calories. Sweet and decadent, they’ll make the perfect Thanksgiving side dish recipe!
- 6 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, unpacked
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 3 tbsp light butter, melted (I used Brummel & Brown)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Arrange sweet potatoes in an even layer in a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Combine maple syrup, butter,brown sugar, lemon juice, nutmeg, salt and in small bowl. Pour the mixture over the sweet potatoes; toss to coat.
- Cover and bake the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until tender and starting to brown, about 40 minutes more.
- Sprinkle marshmallows over potatoes, and put back in oven. Cook until marshmallows melt and begin to brown, about 10 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about ¾ cup
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 215 calories; 2 g fat; 46 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber