This easy Stuffed Shells Recipe is not only delicious, it’s loaded with heart healthy fiber and is just 8 Points + for 4 stuffed shells! That’s right, for cheesy stuffed shells people. 8 Points + is a pretty good bargain for that satisfying portion. Pair it with a 0 Points Plus salad or some roasted veggies for a very filling meal without using up a lot of Weight Watchers Points. Filled with fresh spinach, mushrooms and herbs, it’s a great vegetarian casserole recipe that the whole family can enjoy!
Stuffed Shells Recipe
Indulge in a delicious Italian Stuffed Shells Recipe without breaking your Points Plus bank. Loaded with all the flavors you’d expect, this dish is just 8 Points + for four large stuffed shells. It’s the perfect healthy family dinner recipe!
- 24 jumbo pasta shells, (8 ounces)
- 3 cups prepared, jarred marinara sauce
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook shells until just tender, according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add onions and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add spinach in batches and toss with tongs until wilted. Drain in a colander, pressing out excess moisture with the back of a spoon. Let cool. Set aside.
- Combine ricotta, basil, oregano, garlic, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup Parmesan and nutmeg in a bowl; mix well. Add the reserved spinach and mushroom mixture and season with salt and pepper. Stir in egg white.
- Stuff each of the reserved shells with a generous 2 tablespoons of the ricotta mixture.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Arrange the stuffed shells in a single layer.
- Top with the remaining 2 cups of the sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake until the top is golden and the shells are heated through, about 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 4 shells
Each serving = 8 Points +
PER SERVING: 269 calories; 5 g fat; 48 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 7 g fiber