This weekend, I was a baking madwoman, experimenting with a couple new Weight Watchers recipes and having lots of fun! One of my baking triumphs was this Maple Pear Muffins Recipe. Each muffin has just 5 Points + per serving, which isn’t bad for a carb-based food using sugar AND maple syrup. They were the perfect wintery treat, and were so delicious when served warm with a tablespoon of Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread. They were sweet, dense, moist and satisfying, and make a great idea for a healthy breakfast on the go. So instead of buying on of those atrociously fattening (and overpriced) muffins at Starbucks, make a batch of these delicious low fat Maple Pear Muffins, and save yourself some calories and some cash!
Maple Pear Muffins Recipe
Sweet and healthy Maple Pear Muffins makes a great low calorie breakfast idea if you need something quick. It also makes a satisfying, low fat snack when you are craving something sweet.
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ cup quick oats
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup non-fat buttermilk
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce or pureed pears
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In another bowl, mix the pears, oats, sugar, buttermilk, maple syrup, applesauce (or pear puree), oil and egg substitute. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the wet mixture into the flour mixture and stir until blended.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin pan cups. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Place muffins on a wire rack to cool.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: class="cooktime">20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire Maple Pear Muffins recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 muffin
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 175 calories; 2g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 5g protein; 4g fiber