I have always been a big fan of Middle Eastern food recipes, as they are so immensely flavorful and tend to be loaded with healthy ingredients. A good friend of mine recently prepared this incredible Moroccan Spiced Chicken Recipe with Prunes that was to die for. I loved it so much, I worked hard at creating my own version that’s just as fantastic as hers and yet is still Weight Watchers friendly. Each serving of this Moroccan Chicken has just 7 Points + per serving and is so satisfying! Because the sauce is so rich and flavorful, I’d recommend serving it over some brown rice, quinoa, cous cous or some 0 Points + Orzo from Miracle Noodle. I had no idea that sauteing prunes with chicken and some bold spices would create such a dramatically delicious dish. And it’s incredibly easy to prepare, so it works really well if you need a quick weeknight dinner idea. If you are looking for a unique dinner recipe to add some pizzazz to the table, this dish is it!! Enjoy.
Moroccan Spiced Chicken Recipe with Prunes
What a wonderfully flavorful Middle Eastern recipe that is healthy and low calorie! This fantastic Moroccan Spiced Chicken recipe will knock your socks off — and at just 7 Points +, it’s the perfect healthy dinner recipe that can be made quickly and easily.
- 1lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (a4, 4oz breasts works well
- 1 medium sized leek, chopped (or 1 large yellow onion)
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- Salt and pepper
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook in pan until chicken in browned on the outside, but not cooked through, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- In the same pan, add in onions and garlic until onions become tender – about 3-5 minutes. If the onions and garlic start to stick to the pan while cooking, add in a bit of the broth.
- Mix in flour, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and soy sauce.
- Slowly stir in the broth.
- Add prunes, lemon juice and honey. Boil until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, whisking occasionally, about 6-8 minutes.
- Return chicken to skillet. Simmer chicken is cooked through and tender, about 10-15 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire Moroccan Spiced Chicken Recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 ¾ cups
Each serving = 7 Points +
PER SERVING: 285 calories; 3g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 27g protein; 4g fiber