Summer Borscht Recipe – 3 Points +
With my recent supply of beets that I received in my Farm Fresh to You package, I decided to attempt one of my husband’s favorite soups…borscht. I had never had it before, so I did some research and found a few traditional borscht recipes that looked pretty good. I made a few changes enhancements to the recipes and I was really quite surprised at how good cold, pink soup could be. It was very creamy and flavorful, and actually very, very healthy. With temperature still being quite hot here in Southern California, this cold soup was a delight to eat on a hot summer’s night. My husband, who grew up eating borscht on a regular basis even said my Summer Borscht Recipe would make his grandma envious! The combination of sweet and tangy flavors in this creamy soup work perfectly. It’s a great way to fill up without using many Weight Watchers Points. Plus, it’s pink soup…and it just looks really cool. Enjoy!
What a delicious and delightful use of beets! This creamy and flavorful Summer Borscht was a huge hit. And at just 3 Points + per serving, it’s the perfect low calorie appetizer recipe to serve before a healthy summer meal.
- 2lbs of fresh beets, with tops removed
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 ½ cups plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and place beets inside. Cook, uncovered until tender – about 30 minutes. Then remove beets with a slotted spoon and set aside to let coo. Strain the beet cooking liquid through a fine sieve and set aside to let cool.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 ½ cups of the beet cooking liquid, the chicken stock, yogurt, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Peel skin from cooled beets and dice finely.
- Then add the beets, cucumbers, scallions and dill into the soup mixture.
- Cover and let chill for at least 6 hours, but overnight is preferable.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 136 calories; 0g fat; 9g protein; 4.5g fiber