I never realized how easy beets were to cook…I think those long stems always intimidated me. So whenever I made any beet recipes, I always used ones in cans or the precooked, packaged ones you can find in refrigerated section at the grocery store. But once I discovered how incredibly easy they are to prepare and cook, I love using beautiful fresh beets! One of my easy, go to healthy beet recipes is this simple, yet very flavorful salad. The fresh mint complements the sweet beets perfectly, and the tangy goat cheese adds a hint of tartness to balance the flavors. Dressed in light vinaigrette, this delicious Beet Salad Recipe is a fantastic Weight Watchers salad recipe that you can serve as a healthy side dish with a variety of main courses. I prefer it with a steak, or beef dish. Enjoy!
Beet Salad Recipe with Goat Cheese
This tasty and easy beet salad makes a great healthy side dish recipe to go with a variety of main courses. Fresh and flavorful, this sweet and tangy dish is a real treat.
- 1lb fresh beets (about 1lb with the greens attached)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Steam until beets are tender, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, grab beets with a paper towel and slip off skins, then cut the beets into thin strips, and place in a medium sized bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, garlic, vinegar, orange juice and salt & pepper. Pour over the sliced beets and toss to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight. Serve beets topped with mint and goat cheese.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 110 calories; 6g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 4g protein; 3g fiber