If you are a fan of cheesy potatoes, then this Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes Recipe is a must try. It’s so delicious and so filling, yet just 6 Points + per serving. It’s such a great side dish recipe to serve that always ends up being a hit. By adding in some nonfat Greek yogurt to the cheese sauce, I was able to give it a lot more volume and some extra protein, while cutting out fat and calories. Seriously, my potato slices were swimming in cheese sauce, and that’s exactly how I like it! Because these au gratin potatoes are rich and filling, I’d suggest serving it as side to a light main dish, like grilled chicken or a salad. But these are definitely a carb and cheese lover’s dream. Enjoy!
Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
These cheesy potatoes are to die for…so creamy and rich, and absolutely smothered in cheese. It’s a healthier version of a more traditional potatoes au gratin recipe and has a lot less calories and fat.
- 4 medium sized potatoes, sliced about ¼” thick
- 1 small onion, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 1 quart casserole dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion slices, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cream cheese, shredded cheese, and yogurt all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about a minute or so.
- Pour cheese over the potatoes, and cover the dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake for about 1-1 ½ hours, or until potatoes are cooked through, and top of potatoes has begun to brown and crisp.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about ¾ cup
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 234 calories; 6g fat; 35g carbohydrates; 12g protein; 2g fiber