As healthy a it is delicious, this surprisingly low calorie Tomato Basil Caprese Soup Recipe is a wonderful Weight Watchers Soup Recipe to help fill you up without using a lot of those precious Points Plus. Each serving is just 3 Points +, and that includes a nice, 1oz slice of fresh mozzarella cheese. In my photo above, these cheese actually sank a little bit because I used a bit too much broth, and the soup was thinner than what it should be. So, these cheese wasn’t able to melt as easily. But, if the soup is the right texture, these cheese will sit nicely, right on top while you broil it, and melt over the soup in an ooey, gooey, heavenly layer of deliciousness. Roasting the tomatoes and garlic give this tomato basil soup such a gourmet flavor, and is so much healthier. Pair this light toamto soup with your favorite sandwich or salad, and it will definitely help you feel more satisfied. It is DELICIOUS. Enjoy!
Tomato Basil Caprese Soup
A deliciously flavorful, creamy and cheesy soup that is easy to make and has just 3 Points + per serving. The fresh, roasted tomatoes add such a decadent taste to this soup and the fresh mozzarella is the icing on the cake.
- 3lbs fresh tomatoes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 8 oz fresh, whole milk mozzarella (I used THIS one)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with non-fat cooking spray. Place whole tomatoes and garlic on baking sheet and roast in oven for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, set a large sauce pan over medium high heat, melt butter and add in onions and salt. Cook until unions become tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Dump the cooked tomatoes and garlic cloves into the pot with the onions.
- Add in basil, stock, pepper and oregano, and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a simmer, and then lower heat to medium low and let cook for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in ricotta cheese. Now, using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Pour soup into 8 individual ramekins or oven safe bowls. Slice fresh mozzarella into 8 equally sized slices, and top each bowl of soup with a slice of mozzarella.
- Place ramekins under broiler until mozzarella melts and begins to bubble. Remove from oven and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 ¼ cup soup, with 1oz mozzarella cheese
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 116 calories; 5g fat; 9g carbohydrates; 9g protein; 2g fiber