I’ve been a fan of roasted kale chips longer than I can remember, but it never occurred to me, until recently, to start getting more experimental in my kale usage. It is such an amazing vegetable with incredible benefits, and yet I had only prepared it a few different ways. Since it does have a similar taste to chard, I decided to cook it the same way I would make a sauteed chard recipe. Plus, I happened to have a lot of kale on hand, and I needed a quick and healthy side dish recipe that required little effort. A sauteed kale recipe was just the ticket. And I was thrilled with how it turned out — so delicious and so incredibly easy. This is definitely a great Weight Watchers recipe to go to when I need a quick side that is very low in Points + and super high in nutrition.
Reap the nutritional benefits of kale in this super easy sautéed kale recipe that is as tasty as it is Weight Watchers friendly. It offers a substantial side dish that is low in Points + and yet still full of flavor and very filling. It’s a quick and easy recipe that compliments a variety of main dishes.
- 1 large bunch of Kale, chopped
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat free vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or more to taste)
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Red Pepper chili flakes to taste
- Spray a large, non-stick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Add in garlic and shallots and sauté until they just begin to become tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in kale and vegetable stock, cover and lower heat to medium.
- Cook till kale is wilted (but not too soft) and still bright green, about 5 minutes or so. Then uncover, and toss around while the excess stock cooks off, about another minute or so.
- Add in lemon juice, and season with salt and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about ¾ cup
Each serving = 0 Points +
PER SERVING: 34 calories; 0g fat; 6 carbohydrates; 2g protein; 2g fiber