Low Calorie Sloppy Joe Recipe – 7 Points +
Growing up as a kid, Sloppy Joes were a regular in our house. Both of my parents worked full time, so our dinners needed to be quick and cheap. But they were by no means healthy. Still, I’d grown fond of them over the years, and have decided to give this popular family dinner a healthy makeover. My Low Calorie Sloppy Joe Recipe is even more delicious than the canned version, but it’s also a LOT healthier. Much less fat and sodium, and a lot more fiber, protein and fresh vegetables. I served it on a ciabatta roll, which are generally lighter and less dense than regular rolls. It tasted incredible, and each sandwich was just 7 Points +. I served my kids the sloppy joe on mini whole wheat sliders and they LOVED it. So now I can feel good about making sloppy joes a regular meal in our house. Enjoy!
Low Calorie Sloppy Joe
This slimmed down version of a popular comfort food is perfect for a healthy weeknight dinner. It’s easy, delicious and a lot more nutritious than the kind you ate as a kid.
- 1lb extra lean ground beef (96%lean/4%fat)
- 6 low calorie bread rolls, toasted (I used Trader Joe’s Ciabatta Rolls)
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp steak seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté until just becoming tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef, steak seasoning and pepper, and cook, while breaking apart, until meat is cooked through browned.
- Add in bell peppers, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to medium. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, ketchup and tomato paste. Cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, pile sloppy joe meat onto bun bottoms and cover with bun tops
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 Sloppy Joe sandwich
Each serving = 7 Points +
PER SERVING: 286 calories; 3g fat; 40g carbohydrates; 22g protein; 3g fiber