Chicken Fajitas have always been a family favorite around here. My son loves assembling his own fajita, and I love that he’s eating something so healthy. To make this dish Weight Watchers friendly, I made a few adjustments to how the dish is cooked, but I also put together a tomato, lime, and garlic topping to use instead of sour cream or guacamole. I know, I know…sour cream and guacamole rock. But they can turn a healthy fajitas recipe into an all out Points demolishing fest. The tomato topping is incredibly delicious though, and adds a perfect contrast to the grilled chicken and peppers & onions. Also, by using high fiber flour tortillas, a lot more protein and fiber is added, making it a very satisfying chicken fajitas recipe. Two of these healthy fajitas are just 6 Points +. Serve with black beans and a fresh salad for a complete meal.
These healthy fajitas are not only delicious, but incredibly satisfying with all the fiber and protein they deliver. And the fresh tomatoes and lime marinated topping adds a bright and fresh zing. It makes a fantastic healthy dinner for the whole family.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas (I used Smart & Delicious™ Low Carb, High Fiber Tortillas)
- 2 small red or yellow bell peppers, sliced into thin strips
- 1 small onion, sliced into thin strips
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Place 2 cloves of garlic, chili powder, coriander, cumin, juice from 1 lime, and 1 tsp salt, and ½ tsp black pepper in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and turn to coat with the marinade. Set the chicken aside for at least 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Heat a grill pan to medium and spray with non-fat cooking spray. Once hot, add the chicken pieces and cook undisturbed until well browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Flip and repeat with other side, about 10 minutes more. Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, place the bell pepper and onion and drizzle with the 1 tsp olive oil. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Place the vegetables on the grill pan in a single layer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and slightly charred, about 10 minutes.
- Warm the tortillas in an oven or toaster on low heat oven until just heated through, but still very soft – do not let them crisp. Wrap the tortillas in a clean dishtowel to keep warm.
- In another small bowl, combine tomatoes, cilantro, 2 cloves of garlic, remaining lime juice, salt and pepper.
- To serve assemble each of the fajitas with 1/8th of the chicken, peppers and onions, and tomatoes.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving is 2 fajitas
Each serving = 6 Points +
PER SERVING: 244 calories; 7g fat; 20g carbohydrates; 36g protein; 14g fiber