Get your craving for cheesy comfort food satisfied in this Spaghetti Squash and Cheese Recipe. It’s a much healthier alternative to traditional macaroni and cheese recipes, and I did it simply by just switching out the carbohydrate heavy macaroni noodles for spaghetti squash strands. The sauce was so creamy and delicious, I may even like this better! Next time, I think I may add in some chopped green onions for an added flavor boost. But most of the time, I just like to eat comfort foods in a simple, non-fancy way, with nothing else added. This Spaghetti Squash and Cheese Recipe definitely requires more work than a box of mac and cheese, but it’s loaded with fiber, protein and healthy vitamins and minerals. Plus each heaping cup serving is just 4 Points +. Enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash and Cheese
A perfect, guilt-free way to satisfy your macaroni and cheese craving! Full of delicious cheese, but no carb heavy noodles. This is not only delicious, but very filling and a real treat for any Weight Watcher.
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash, cooked
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 cup extra sharp reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/4 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a medium sized casserole dish with non-fat cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter and then whisk in flour. Reduce heat to medium, and stir constantly. Then pour in the milk and chicken broth and raise heat to medium high. Continue to whisk constantly until mixture begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once sauce is thickened, remove from heat and stir in the cheddar and Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until cheese is completely melted. Season cheese sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, place cooked spaghetti squash strands in it, and pour cheese sauce over top. Stir in Greek yogurt. Then pour into casserole dish and bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until squash is heated through and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points +
PER SERVING: 158 calories; 6g fat; 16g carbohydrates; 9g protein; 2.5g fiber