If you love crisy, fried taquitos or flautas, then you are going to LOVE today’s recipe. Recently, I came across this Baked Chicken and Spinach Flautas Recipe and thought this was amazing idea. Why have I not thought of this myself!? Living in Southern California, I have access to some of the most delicious Mexican food around. That’s both a blessing and a curse. But I adore Mexican cuisine, and love experimenting with healthier, low calorie Mexican food recipes like these Baked Flautas. Let me just tell you, they were incredible. My rolling was a little sloppy, but I’ll work on perfecting that the next 300 times I make them :). My entire family loved them, and even my 4 year old couldn’t get enough. I barely managed to grab a few to take a picture! Seriously, they were delicious. And just 5 Points + for two taquitos! If you love Mexican food, these Weight Watchers Baked Taquitos are an absolute must try. Enjoy!
You’ll feel like you’ve hit the low calorie Mexican food jackpot with these baked taquitos! Flavorful, crunchy and deliciously fresh tasting, they are the perfect way to eat a healthier version of a popular Mexican comfort food.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 bottle Corona light
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 6 whole wheat tortillas, (I used La Tortilla Factory, Low Carb High Fiber, Large Size)
- 1 jalapeno diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450. Spray a large baking sheet with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a medium sized pot, place chicken breasts, and cover with beer and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken prom pot and place in large bowl. Using two forks, shred chicken well.
- Add in jalapenos, salsa, shredded cheese, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Cut all tortillas in half, and spoon 1/12 of the chicken mixture onto the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up, starting with the straight edge. Place seam-side down onto baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Lightly mist all the taquitos with an olive oil mister. Place in oven and bake for about 5 minutes, then flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the tortillas are crispy.
- Serve with extra salsa and/or sour cream for dipping.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 2 taquitos
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 205 calories; 5.5g fat; 19g carbohydrates; 27g protein; 12g fiber