Mexican Meatballs Recipe – 5 Points +
If you adore the flavors of Mexican food, then you are going to want to give this Mexican Meatballs Recipe a try, asap. Made with lean ground turkey and a bit of ground pork, these moist and juicy meatballs are served in a spicy roasted tomatillo and chipotle pepper sauce that is sure to give your taste buds a serious kick. If you would prefer a less spicy version, just use 2 of the canned chipotle peppers, and use more if you want it crazy spicy. These Weight Watchers Mexican meatballs can be served as a main course over rice or rolled into a flour tortilla. Or, serve them with toothpicks as an appetizer. They are absolutely delicious, much lighter and healthier than what you’d get at a restaurant, and each 6 meatball serving is just 5 Points +, making this an ideal Weight Watchers Mexican Food Recipe to try. My husband and I LOVED them. I made them very spicy though, so couldn’t serve them to the kids, but I imagine a milder version would be a hit with the little ones as well. Enjoy!
Heat things up with these incredible Mexican meatballs served in a roasted tomatillo sauce that is to die for. Spicy, flavorful and still just 5 Points + per serving, this is one meal that will have everyone asking for more.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ lb ground pork
- 1 ½ lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 3-4 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6 garlic cloves (4 whole, 2 minced)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fat free beef broth
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like Eggbeaters)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with a non-fat cooking spray or olive oil mister. Place all tomatillos, onions and whole garlic cloves on baking sheet, mist with cooking spray or olive oil mister and place in oven. Roast for about 40-45 minutes.
- While tomatillos are roasting, combine ground turkey, ground pork, Panko, egg substitute, minced garlic, cumin, chili powder, 2 tbsp of the cilantro, and salt & pepper in a large bowl.
- Once tomatillos are finished roasting, place them, along with the roasted onions and garlic cloves, the beef broth, canned chipotles and remaining cilantro in a blender and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Using wet hands, form about 36, 1” meatballs.
- Spray a large skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Place meatballs in pan, and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes each side. You may need to do this in batches.
- Once all meatballs are browned, pour the tomatillo sauce over them, cover and let them simmer in the pan on low, until meatballs are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 6 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 203 calories; 6g fat; 12g carbohydrates; 23g protein; 3g fiber