Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite vegan soup recipes that is not only insanely delicious, but it’s full of healthy ingredients, and each large serving is incredibly satisfying. It’s loaded with beautiful greens like peas, asparagus, basil and spinach, and it asserts that deliciously fresh, spring-like flavor. At 5 Points + per serving, it makes a healthy and hearty Weight Watchers lunch idea, served with fresh bread or a baked potato. If you prefer your soup a little more thin, just add more of the vegetable broth, as desired. Also, feel free to play around with the strength of the seasonings, using more or less as your tastes prefer. But this Spring Minestrone Recipe is definitely a dish that will have you feeling good. Enjoy!
An amazing Weight Watchers Vegan Recipe that lets you really put those farmer’s market vegetables to work. This delicious Spring Minestrone is so fresh, flavorful, and filling, you’ll be more than satisfied for just 5 Points +.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb asparagus, cut into chunks
- 6oz uncooked whole wheat pasta (I used bowtie)
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup peas
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup basil, roughly chopped
- 4 cups fat free vegetable broth
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place oil in a large pot or dutch oven, and set over medium high heat.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Add in onions and garlic, and sauté until slightly tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, salt, pepper, thyme, red pepper flakes, bay leaves, and oregano. Bring to a simmer, then turn heat to low, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add in peas, carrots, asparagus, and beans. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Now stir in spinach, pasta, basil and lemon juice. Cover and cook for another 15-20 minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with optional grated Parmesan cheese.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 209 calories; 2.5g fat; 37g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 9g fiber