One of the things I’ve learned over the course of many trips to Israel is the glorious, deliciousness of the eggplant. Growing up, I had never, EVER been served anything with eggplant, and now I am sad about the many years I missed out on. I love cooking eggplant now in a variety of ways, but one of my favorite eggplant recipes is this simple, yet savory Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce Recipe. I love the smoky taste that the eggplant takes on when it’s roasted, and then the amazing and fresh tahini sauce drizzled over the top just makes it absolutely perfect. For those of you who aren’t familiar with tahini, it’s a thick paste made from crushed sesame seeds. Actual tahini sauce, which is used to accompany many middle eastern dishes, is a mixture of tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, and water. I wish that I could say I was the master of making homemade tahini sauce, but to get the texture just right is a bit of an art form…an art form that I am still trying to perfect. But it is delicious and worth every attempt. These eggplant slices are great as a side dish to your main course, and also work really well as a sandwich topping too (on top of grilled chicken is my FAVORITE!) This tasty, low calorie recipe comes out to just 2 Points + per serving, and is loaded with fiber, making it a wonderful idea for Weight Watchers Recipes. Enjoy!
Roasted Eggplant with Tahini Sauce
Simple, yet savory, roasted eggplant drizzled with a freshly made tahini sauce is a delicious and healthy way to get in those important vegetable servings. The smoky taste of the eggplant is perfectly complemented by the tangy, nutty tahini.
- 2 medium sized eggplant, sliced into 1/2” slices
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Juice from ½ a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and mist with cooking spray or an olive oil mister.
- Place eggplant slices evenly onto baking sheet (you may need 2-3 baking sheets), mist with olive oil mister or cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until well browned, about 20-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, combine tahini paste, water, lemon juice, garlic, and paprika in a small bowl. Season with salt.
- Place roasted eggplant slices on serving dish and pour tahini sauce over them evenly. Garnish with parsley.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 2 Points +
PER SERVING: 83 calories; 3g fat; 12g carbohydrates; 2.5g protein; 6g fiber