Satisfy your cravings for comfort food casseroles with this easy, low fat, Leek and Cauliflower Gratin Recipe. Just 4 Points + per serving, and you get a heaping helping of delicious leeks and cauliflower, smothered in a creamy cheese sauce and topped with crunchy Panko. Simple, yet satisfying, and very Weight Watchers friendly. It makes a wonderful side dish to go with a lean protein like fish or chicken, and it re-heats really well the next day. Also, it’s a surprisingly easy dish to make. I loved making this as a side dish for dinner one night, and then using the leftovers for the next day’s dinner side dish, too. This is really a great Weight Watchers casserole recipe to add to your menu. Enjoy!
Leek and Cauliflower Gratin
A decadent Weight Watchers casserole recipe that tastes dangerously delicious. Creamy, cheesy and very satisfying, this low calorie gratin makes a wonderful side dish to a variety of main course entrees.
- 3 large leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 1 small head of cauliflower, trimmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place leeks and cauliflower inside. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add in the flour, and whisk constantly until butter and flour have combined, about 30 seconds. Slowly, whisk in milk, and bring to a boil, whisking very frequently, until slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Stir in cheddar cheese, and whisk until melted. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over leeks and cauliflower. Sprinkle evenly with Panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Cover with foil and place in oven. Cook until vegetables are tender and sauce is bubbling, about 25 minutes. Remove foil, and allow to cook for another 8-10 minutes to brown the breadcrumbs.
- Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 6 Smart Points/4 Points +
PER SERVING: 166calories; 6g fat; 3.71g saturated fat; 18.5g carbohydrate; 8.39g sugar; 10g protein; 2g fiber