Garden zucchini are finally starting to wind down, so there won’t be too many more zucchini recipes until next summer. This zucchini quiche is wonderful and elegant. It’s a great recipe to make in little tart pans or individual servings as an appetizer, or as a quick and easy breakfast. If you’re going to make this quiche mini though, don’t forget to quarter the zucchini before slicing them, or they’ll overpower the size of the portion. One of the wonderful things about quiches is that they are so simple to make, but they are delicious every time. You can just mix all the ingredients together and it’s ready to go. Quiches also freeze well, so it’s a wonderful meal to make in smaller portions (or just freeze individual slices) for easy weekday breakfasts. Typically in recipes like this, I use the traditional green zucchini, but you can also use yellow summer squash and it’ll be just as wonderful. Yellow summer squash has a lighter flavor and much more tender skin, which makes it ideal for stir fries and sauted vegetables. Yellow summer squash also tend to be a little smaller, as opposed to the club sized zucchini that you sometimes end up with. But whether you use yellow summer squash or zucchini, this recipe is a winner.
This is a wonderful recipe to make up and then freeze for easy breakfasts. And it’s so quick to make – just mix everything together and you’re ready to go! It’s simple, delicious and elegant every time.
- 1 pie crust (9 inches)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a pie plate with the pastry crust and crimp the edges.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and zucchini until tender. Set aside and allow it to cool for a few minutes.
- While the zucchini mixture is cooling, whisk the eggs, seasonings and mustard until well combined.
- Add the zucchini mixture and cheese. Mix well.
- Spread the zucchini mixture into the prepared pastry shell.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- If needed, cover the edges with foil in the last 15 minutes to prevent the crust from burning.
- Let the quiche rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serve warm.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 slice
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/6 Points +
PER SERVING: 245 calories; 13.5g fat; 4.7g saturated fat; 24g carbohydrates; 3.1g sugar; 8.5g protein; 1.7g fiber