While I am someone who typically loves meat, sometimes I like to do some vegetarian options. It’s a great way to expand my culinary horizons as well as being a great way to help the food budget. So, we try to do things like “Meatless Mondays”. Some meals are much easier to make a vegetarian option, and chili is one of those meals. Traditional tomato based chili is great, but sometimes, it’s nice to have a little variety in chili. This white chili is a variation on the common (and very tasty) white chicken chili, but without the chicken. Great northern beans make a great base for this delicious chili, and the corn adds flavor, texture and sweetness. The jalapeno pepper can be hot, but if you remove the seeds and membranes it’ll be much less spicy. Pablano peppers are mild chili peppers, so this chili is spicy, but not too hot. If it ends up being a little too hot for you, just add a little cheese or sour cream when you serve it. While the recipe is for cooking it on the stove, you can also saute the peppers, onions and garlic then stick everything in the crockpot. It’s easy to have for supper as these fall days get cool.
Give this vegetarian white chili a try for a tasty supper this fall. You can serve it with a side of chips and salsa, or try some cornbread. This versatile chili can be made on the stove in a snap, or you can cook it all day in the crockpot, for a supper ready to go when you get home.
- 2 cans white beans (Great Northern) (14.5 oz each)
- 1 can (12 oz) sweet corn
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the peppers, onions and garlic for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the cumin, coriander and chili powder. Mix and saute for another 1 minute.
- Add the stock and lime juice. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the beans and corn and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Adjust the taste, if needed.
- Stir in the cilantro. Continue to simmer for another 5 – 10 minutes.
- Serve hot, garnished with shredded cheese, cilantro and lime wedges, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 217 calories; 3g fat; 38g carbohydrates; 11g protein; 8g fiber