I love using the crockpot for meats and soups. It’s a great way to cook things without my having to attend to them every second. The meat that is cooked in the crockpot is tender, moist and delicious. Crockpots are my favorite way to cook up a chicken that I’m going to debone and then chop up and freeze. This fabulous beef taco recipe is another one that’s perfect in the crock pot. Sure, you can simmer it on the stove in the sauce for about 2 hours until it’s tender, but it’s so much easier to just stick it in the crockpot, turn it on and walk away. The meat turns out delicious and tender every time. Once you’re ready to eat, serve these with your favorite toppings. I love to pile on the veggies (especially since they’re zero points plus) and a dab of sour cream and cheese.
These delicious tacos are perfect for a simple meal. Cooking them in the crockpot makes it easy to have the meal nearly ready when you walk in the door. The meat is savory and tender every time. Simply top these tacos with your favorite toppings and you’re ready to go!
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 – 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs beef chuck roast, cut into 1 or 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Black pepper
- Corn tortillas, for serving
- Any additional toppings desired (salsa, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, etc)
- In a large skillet or Dutch, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add the peppers, tomatoes, onion and garlic.
- Cook for 5 – 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are fragrant.
- Place the vegetable mixture in a blende with 1/2 cup of water and 1 tsp of salt.
- Process until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the skillet and place the beef in the sauce.
- Stir the beef and sauce mixture to ensure the beef is completely coated.
- Cook on medium high heat until the meat begins to brown.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, combine the cilantro, thyme and 1 1/2 cups water in the blender and process until smooth.
- Place the cilantro sauce, bay leaves and the meat and sauce into a crockpot.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6 – 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm corn tortillas with desired toppings.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 4 – 8 hours
Diet tags: High protein, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Mexican
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups meat and sauce mixture with 1 corn tortilla
Each serving = 8 Smart Points/8 Points +
PER SERVING: 288 calories; 17g fat;2.1g saturated fat; 15g carbohydrates; .5g sugar; 19g protein; 2g fiber