Comfort food does not have to be high in calories and fat. This is an alternative to french fries. Instead of heavy oils and grease, oven baked fries are much better. As a bonus, they are healthier too.
This easy side dish of oven baked french fries is a perfect healthy alternative. I serve these with malt vinegar when I make fish and chips, or grilled burgers (both beef and turkey). I have made these with veggie burgers too. My friend’s children love these and prefer them to fast food french fries.
- 2 large Russet baking potatoes cut into strips and/or wedges
- 4 teaspoons light extra light olive oil (Filippo Berio Extra Light Olive Oil is used for this recipe)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Malt vinegar or ketchup (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray
- Peel potatoes into ½ inch strips
- In a small bowl add potatoes, olive oil, seasoning and toss.
- Place the potatoes on the cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- Flip potatoes over and bake 10 more minutes or until desired tenderness or crispiness.
- After potatoes are done dab with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Flavor with malt vinegar or ketchup and serve hot.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving size is about: 1/2 of a potato
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 102 calories; 5g fat; 13 g carbohydrates; 2g protein; 1g fiber