This baked macaroni and cheese recipe is easy to prepare as well as low fat. I have many variations for this traditional baked macaroni and cheese dish and this is the one I most recently prepared. The cayenne pepper adds a little spice and I prefer freshly ground pepper as well. I will serve this as a light main meal with a side salad for lunch or dinner. This recipe was prepared as a side dish to chicken loaf (a.k.a. meatloaf) or pork chops.
I have loved baked macaroni and cheese since I was a kid. It’s the perfect comfort food. This is a healthy version and very tasty.
- 2 cups dry macaroni (Dreamfields Elbows is used for this recipe)
- 3/4 cup evaporated fat-free milk
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (Horizon Organic: Low-fat Small Curd Cottage is used for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (Reduced fat – Cabot’s Sharp Cheddar is used for this recipe)
- 1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. dry bread crumbs
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare macaroni according to instructions on the box.
- In a saucepan, heat milk over low heat.
- Add the cheeses (except Parmesan) until melted, stirring constantly.
- Drain pasta and place in a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Remove the cheese sauce from the heat then pour on top of cooked pasta.
- Stir and mix cheese and pasta well.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Bake the casserole for 15-20 minutes until bubbly and the top is browned.
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes: 4 servings
Serving size is about: approximately 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 212 calories; 3.3 g fat; 27.9 g carbohydrates; 16.2 g protein; 0.7g fiber