Alpine Chicken is Chicken slow cooked with ham or Canadian bacon, cheese, noodles, and seasonings. It’s a rich, hearty, southern dish that can typically be pretty fattening.
I came across this fantastic recipe that manages to still deliver all “YUM factor”, but with a lot fewer calories and fat! This dish is a must-do!
Alpine Chicken Casserole Recipe
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 4 ounces diced Canadian bacon
- 2 carrots — thinly sliced, — (up to 3)
- 1 rib celery — thinly sliced, — (up to 2)
- 1 small onion — thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Chicken breast halves, boneless skinless
- 1 can low-fat condensed cheddar cheese soup — (11 oz.)
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sliced pimento
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 package wide egg noodles — cooked, drained (16 — oz.) Don’t forget to add points for noodles.
- In a small bowl, mix bouillon granules, chopped parsley, and poultry seasoning; set aside.
- Layer in a slow cooker, in order. Canadian bacon, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add water.
- Remove skin, if desired, and excess fat from chicken; rinse and pat dry.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with half of the reserved seasoning mixture.
- Top with remaining chicken and sprinkle with remaining seasoning mixture.
- Stir soup and flour together; spoon over top. DO NOT STIR.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours or on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is tender and juices from chicken run clear and vegetables are tender.
- Spread cooked noodles in a shallow 2 or 2 1/2 quart broiler proof serving dish.
- Arrange chicken on noodles.
- Stir soup mixture and vegetables until combined.
- Spoon vegetables and some of the liquid over chicken.
- Sprinkle with pimento and Parmesan cheese.
- Broil 6 inches from heat source for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
Weight Watchers Points Value = 5 (WW Points)