I was looking for something fancy (yet cheap and easy) to serve at a dinner party that my fiancé and I recently hosted and this low calorie crock pot recipe I found for apples ‘n port really fit the bill!
This slow cooker recipe is so amazingly delicious over ice cream or shortbread. I served it with Devonshire cream over scones. It looked and tasted amazing and my friends were tres impressed with my gourmet cooking skills.
Little do they know how easy it was!
But because I am dieting, I ate the apples ‘n port desert over some low fat vanilla yogurt, so that I could stay within my Weight Watchers Points range for the day. Yay!
Apples ‘N Port Recipe
- 4 whole cooking apples — (4 to 6)
- 1/2 c. raisins or currants
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 t. nutmeg
- 1/4 t. ground cinnamon
- 2/3 c. port wine
- Core apples and cut a score around the sides about 1/3 down from the top.
- Fill score with raisins or currants, and top with brown sugar, pressing the sugar lightly toward the center of the fruit.
- Place apples in the bottom of the crock pot, and pour port over them, seeing that some go into each apple center.
- Cover and cook at Low for 3 to 4 hours, or until apples are soft.
- Serve with excess port sauce poured over apples.
Serves 4 to 6.
Note: These apples are excellent hot or cold, and especially good served with rich vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. They are also fantastic when served over a tender pork loin or duck. Also, as seen in the picture, cranberries can be added to the recipe to give it a nice seasonal look.
Per Serving: 225 Calories; trace Fat; 1g Protein; 51g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 12mg Sodium.