Nothing says authentic cowboy cookin’ luck Arizona Chuck Wagon Beans.
I absolutely adore this meal, but I thought there was no way I could manage to eat it and still stay within my Weight Watchers Points Range for the day.
So when I found this recipe online one day, I was ecstatic! I couldn’t wait to give it a try. It ended up turning out perfectly! Actually, it turned out so well, my fiancé didn’t even know it was low calorie! Ha!
If you like that good ‘ol fashioned western cooking, this is one recipe you’ll love!
Arizona Chuck Wagon Beans Recipe
- 1 Pound navy beans – Dried Or Pinto
- 6 Cups Water
- 1/4 Pound lean pork loins, lean, boneless — diced
- 1 Large Onion — chopped
- 1 garlic clove — minced
- 1 Large Green pepper — chopped
- 1 1/2 Pounds Extra Lean Round Steak — cubed
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano — crumbled
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground cumin
- 8 Ounces Tomato sauce
- Pick over beans and rinse well. Combine beans and water in a large kettle. Bring to boiling; cover; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 1 hour then pour into slow cooker.
- Brown pork in a large skillet; remove with a slotted spoon to cooker; sauté onion, garlic and green pepper in pan drippings; remove with slotted spoon to cooker.
- Brown beef, a few pieces at a time in pan drippings; remove to cooker with slotted spoon; stir in salt, oregano, red pepper, cumin and tomato sauce.
- Add more water, if necessary to bring liquid level above beans.
- Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours, or until beans are tender.
Entire Recipe makes 6 servings
Each serving = approx 1 cup
Per Serving: Calories 391, Fat 11.9, Fiber 14.8
Weight Watchers Points Value = 6