This slow cooker recipe for Asian Spiced Beans with Rice, complete with Weight Watcher Points, is one of the best I’ve ever had.
It’s thick and hearty and loaded with fiber and protein, so you feel full with just one serving. If you really want to amp up your nutrients, you can substitute brown rice for the cooked white rice.
I also preferred to use black beans instead of the red beans because I like the taste better.
Asian Spiced Beans Recipe
- 1/2 Cup dry packaged Red Beans or 1(15 ounces) can Red beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 large carrots, diagonally sliced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic, to taste
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced ginger root or 1 to 2 teaspoons ground ginger, to taste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounces) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 Teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 Cups cooked rice
- Sliced green onions or chopped peanuts for garnish
- If using dry beans, in a large saucepan, place dry beans and cover with 2 inches water; heat to boiling; let boil, uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and set aside for at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
- Drain soaking water and rinse beans. Place soaked OR canned beans, chicken, carrots, garlic, ginger and 1 1/4 cups of the chicken broth in slow cooker; stir well.
- Cover and cook on low until beans are tender about 5 1/2 to 6 hours.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Combine cornstarch with remaining 1/2 cup broth and stir into mixture in cooker; stir in crushed red pepper.
- Cover and cook until thickened, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in soy sauce.
- Serve over rice; sprinkle with green onions and peanuts.
Makes 6 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each.
Per serving: WW Points: 7, Calories: 375, Fat: 3g, Fiber: 10g, Carbs: 56g, Sodium: 285mg, Protein: 30g, Cholesterol: 46mg
This Asian spicy beans and rice recipe has only 7 Weight Watchers points value.