Good old American apple pie. Who doesn’t love it? Can you imagine a Thanksgiving Dinner without it? I certainly can’t.
And since I’m a big apple pie fan, I was determined to find a tasty, low calorie apple recipe that would be low in Weight Watchers Points, but still delicious enough to impress my dinner guests.
I hit the jackpot with this one! Part apple pie recipe, part apple cobbler recipe, this dessert is a must for fall parties and dinners. Only 4 Weight Watchers Points per slice! Woo hoo!!
Apple Pie Recipe
- 4 medium apple(s), McIntosh, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, chilled and cut up in small chunks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp water, or more if necessary
- 1/3 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, melted
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Start by making the crust. First, in a large mixing bowl or a food processor, combine 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1 cup of flour.
- Add 3 tablespoons of chilled, reduced calorie margarine and process until mixture looks crumbly, like coarse meal. If you don’t have a food processor, just use your fingers.
- Then start to mix in cold water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix well forming a dough.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten dough in a circle a bit larger than a 9-inch pie pan. Press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Next, make the filling. To do this, combine 1/4 cup of sugar, apples, cinnamon and cornstarch in a large bowl; add in the apple slices and toss to coat. Place mixture in prepared piecrust.
- Finally, make the topping by mixing 2 tablespoons of sugar, melted margarine, 5 tablespoons of flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar and oats in a small bowl; scatter over apples.
- Bake for about 45 to 50 minutes or until crumbly topping is golden brown in color and apples are tender. Cool for at least a half hour before serving.
SERVING SIZE = 1 slice
Weight Watchers Points Value = 4 (WW Points)