I cannot even begin to explain how overjoyed I was when I found this low calorie mozzarella sticks recipe from Weight Watchers!! I mean, really, who doesn’t love these things? But the traditional fried, greasy mozzarella sticks are low on good nutrition and high on calories and fat.
This revamped version is so good, you’ll wonder what you ever saw in the traditionally fried cheese stick recipe in the first place. These are a great snack or appetizer to serve at your upcoming holiday parties, or a tasty and healthy snack to serve up as a Super Bowl recipe. Trust me, no one will know these oven fried Weight Watchers Mozzarella Sticks are actually GOOD for them, as they are high in fiber and calcium and very low in fat and calories.
So if you are looking for a way to indulge in your favorite fried treat, give this healthy mozzarella stick recipe a try immediately!
Oven-Fried Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
- 2 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray, divided
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 2 tsp ground oregano, divided
- 3 slice(s) reduced-calorie wheat bread, dried and torn
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 finger-like strips
- 1/4 cup liquid egg mix (egg whites or Egg Beaters)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato sauce and 1 teaspoon of oregano; set pan over low heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine bread, remaining teaspoon of oregano and thyme; process until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Place crumbs in a shallow bowl. (Tip: Use the ends of the loaf of bread for the bread crumbs since those slices are often uneaten).
- Coat cheese sticks with egg mixture (you won’t use it all).
- Transfer cheese to bread crumb mixture and turn to coat.
- Arrange cheese on prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Bake until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with warmed tomato sauce on the side. Yeah, baby!
Serving Size = 2 cheese sticks and about 1/4 cup of sauce
Each Serving = 4 Weight Watchers Points