With a bit of warmer weather coming my way lately, I started to fantasize about tasty summer salads and BBQ foods, and that got me thinking about potato salad recipes.
I’ve been on the lookout for a good one that fits into my Weight Watchers Points range, but is still incredibly delicious and enjoyable for my friends who are not Weight Watchers. So when I found this deliciously low calorie Weight Watchers German Potato Salad Recipe, I was PSYCHED!!
This potato salad is so full of flavor and the bacon adds such a nice dimension to the taste, I was really quite overwhelmed. And considering that the typical German Potato Salad Recipe can have as many as 12-15 Weight Watchers Points per serving, this 3 Point Recipe for potato salad is a real bargain! It’s creamy and crunchy and oh so heavenly.
I simply made a few changes and substitutions to the traditional red potato salad recipe and managed to lower the Points value significantly, without sacrificing any of the fabulous taste.
With a Weight Watchers Recipe for German Potato Salad this good, there’s no need to wait til Memorial day to make it!
Weight Watchers German Potato Salad Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds uncooked red potatoes, medium-size
- 4 oz Extra Lean Turkey Bacon, uncooked, diced
- 1/2 medium Spanish onion, or Vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped dill
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil potatoes and enough water to cover. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make dressing, cook bacon in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Pour off and discard all but any drippings in the pan.
- Add onion to drippings in pan and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, sugar, salt, mayo and pepper; bring to simmer. Set aside and keep warm.
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Transfer to a large bowl and add celery, red peppers, and dill.
- Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with bacon and serve warm.
Serving size is a full 1 cup
Each serving = 3 Weight Watchers Points