This tasty Easter side dish recipe is the perfect accompaniment to the Easter main dish recipe that I posted yesterday! It’s a fantastically delicious Weight Watchers Recipe for Wild Rice, Barley, and Asparagus Pilaf and it has just 1 Weight Watcher Point per serving.
It’s easy to make and is loaded with heart healthy fiber, protein and vitamins. I love that this rice recipe doesn’t look or taste like it’s low calorie and actually good for you.
Whether it’s with you Easter dinner, or any meal for that matter, this Wild Rice, Barley and Asparagus Recipe is definitely a great choice – your whole family will love it.
Weight Watchers Wild Rice, Barley and Asparagus Pilaf Recipe
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup raw wild rice
- 1 cup pearl barley (do not use quick-cooking)
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 10 ounce pencil-thin asparagus spears, cut into 2-inch segments
- Bring the broth and rice to a simmer in a large saucepan; cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the barley, shallot, salt, thyme, sage and pepper. Cover and continue simmering over low heat for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus, cover, reduce the heat even further and simmer slowly for 5 minutes.
- Set aside off the heat, covered, for 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is ½ cup
Each serving = 1 Weight Watchers Point