When I found this Weight Watchers Beef Stew Recipe for the crock pot, I literally was drooling. Though I initially thought it was just a traditional beef and vegetable stew recipe, it’s actually a classic Jewish recipe for Tzimmes!
I’ve had Tzimmes before, but I’ve never had it prepared with the beef and vegetables so I was so excited to give it a try, and YOWSA!! IT WAS SO YUMMY!! Hearty and delicious, this Weight Watchers Recipe for Beef Stew is an incredibly filling meal, and with 8 Weight Watcher Points per serving, it’s much lower in calories than most stews.
This Weight Watchers crock pot recipe offers a truly unique and delicious take on beef stew by adding in some non traditional ingredients like prunes, cinnamon and honey – and it is definitely worth trying!
Weight Watchers Beef Stew Crock Pot Recipe
- 7 oz frozen chopped onions, about 2 cups
- 3 pounds raw, lean beef brisket, trimmed, boneless, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size chunks
- 1/2 pound baby carrots, cut in half if large
- 8 small uncooked new potatoes, cut in half (unpeeled)
- 16 prunes, pitted
- 4 tbsp fresh lemon juice, divided (from 2 small lemons)
- 5 tsp honey, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup beef broth
NOTES: You can substitute dried apricots for the prunes if you prefer.
For a stew with thicker gravy, spoon 1 tablespoon of flour into a cup and stir in 1/4 cup of the tzimmes liquid until the mixture is lump-free. Add the flour mixture to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 10 minutes. (Adding the flour does not affect the recipe’s POINTS value.)
- Place onion, beef, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, new potatoes, prunes, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of honey in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and broth; stir well.
- Cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours.
- About 5 minutes before serving, stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons of honey; cover and cook on low for 5 minutes.
Entire Recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 8 Weight Watchers Points