With all the holiday parties coming up, it’s easy to be tempted by all the fabulously delicious food, and to let yourself be seduced into an all you can eat holiday buffet. But just by making some healthier versions of the holiday favorites, you can save yourself some calories and weight watchers points!
If you are hosting a holiday party this year, and are in need of a good, low calorie Christmas appetizer recipe, this Spinach Puffs Recipe is a must try. Full of flavor, but low on fat, I found them to be much more yummy than I expected. And it’s a quick and easy Christmas recipe to make if you need something in a pinch. Just prepare it the night before, them pull them out of the freezer, pop them into the oven, and you’re good to go.
Though this is not an official one of Weight Watchers Christmas Recipes, I think it’s a great holiday appetizer for anyone who is watching their weight, but wants to serve an appetizer that tastes good enough to serve to everyone.
Spinach Puffs Recipe
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion (I used red onion)
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp marjoram
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons light butter, melted (I used Balade Light Butter)
- Squeeze liquid from spinach very well.
- Chop garlic and onion in food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add spinach and remaining ingredients. Pulse two or three times, leaving spinach in distinct pieces but the mixture well combined.
- Chill 2 – 3 hours or overnight.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet. Freeze. When frozen, transfer to freezer bags.
- To serve, bake at 300F for 30 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 36 puffs
Serving size is 1 puff
Each serving = 1 Point