When I found this recipe for Pizza Bread Sticks, I was impressed. Not only did it sound delicious, but it was prepared differently than I expected.
I came across this recipe at Health Discovery.com, which is a Weight Watchers support network. And I adapted the recipe a bit, making a few small changes. I was super excited to give it a try, and I was not disappointed! They were yummy and flavorful, and though it’s not a perfect substitute for a slice of real NY pizza, I enjoyed it nonetheless.
It also makes a unique appetizer recipe to use for parties or potlucks. And it would make a tasty snack for the kids. Though this is not an official one of Weight Watchers Bread Stick Recipes, I think that any one who’s looking for a tasty, low point total snack, will find this dish a real treat. Enjoy!
Pizza Bread Sticks Recipe
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded, reduced fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Kosher salt1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 of a small red onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Non-fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray 2 large nonstick baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in small bowl; stir until yeast dissolves. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Meanwhile, place all remaining ingredients except oil, 1/2 tsp dried oregano, garlic powder, Kosher salt and Parmesan cheese, in food processor; process a few seconds to combine.
- With food processor running, gradually add yeast mixture and oil. Process just until mixture forms a ball. (Add an additional 2 tablespoons flour if dough is too sticky.)
- Transfer dough to lightly floured surface; knead 1 minute. Let dough rest 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the 1/2 tsp oregano, garlic powder, Kosher salt, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Roll out dough with lightly floured rolling pin to form 14X8-inch rectangle; cut dough crosswise into 14, 1/2-inch-wide strips. Twist dough strips (optional); place on prepared baking sheets.
- Lightly spray strips with nonfat cooking spray, and then sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and Parmesan cheese mixture.
- Bake 14 to 16 minutes or until lightly browned.
**Try serving with a side of marinara sauce for dipping!
Entire recipe makes 14 servings
Serving size = 1 pizza stick
Each serving = 2 Points