Another Passover is about to arrive, and before we all start to drool at the anticipation of yummy, Passover goodness, keep in mind that there are awesome and easy Passover recipes that are low in calories and Points, and will help keep you on track with your weight loss plan.
And this delicious Beef and Spinach Matzo Casserole Recipe is a great example (and Kosher for Passover!). Easy and delicious, this Matzo dish has just a 5 Points per serving, and though it’s not an official one of Weight Watchers Passover Recipes, it’s sure to be a hit with all of your weight watching friends and family.
Beef and Spinach Matzo Casserole Passover Recipe
- 4 plain Matzo crackers
- 1 1/2 pound raw, extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 6 cups (packed) baby spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 29 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.Add beef and saute until browned, about 6 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain and set aside.
- Add artichokes, spinach, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, parsley, sage, rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika to skillet. Saute until spinach is tender and sauce reduces and thickens, about 15 minutes.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place 2 pieces of matzo in bottom of pan; spread 3 cups meat sauce on top. Place remaining 2 pieces of matzo on top; add on remaining meat sauce.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Let sit for five minutes before cutting into 8 pieces with a sharp knife.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 piece
Each serving = 5 Points