Mmmmmm…Chinese Egg Rolls….who doesn’t love them? I sure do!
But trying to find a healthy, low calorie version of these is pretty much impossible. So I decided to make my own. And I must say, my Baked Chicken Egg Roll Recipe ROCKED!
Crunchy, tangy and full of flavor, this baked version of the greasy Chinese food favorite, are a real treat for any weight watcher. Each nicely sized egg roll has just a 2 Points, and that includes some sweet and sour sauce for dipping (cause you’ve GOT to have that!!)
Simply by baking instead of frying, lots of calories were cut, thus making the overall point value much lower than traditional Chinese egg roll recipes, which can clock in at 4 -8 points each.
So if you’ve got a craving for some Chinese Chicken Egg Rolls, give my version a try, and indulge without the guilt! Though this is not an official one of Weight Watchers Chinese Food Recipes, it’s a dish that anyone who loves Chinese fast food with less calories, will appreciate.
Baked Chicken Egg Roll Recipe
- 8 egg roll wrappers
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp minced, fresh ginger
- 6 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded
- 1/3 cup Kikkoman Low Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup of Kikkoman Sweet & Sour Sauce (for dipping)
** NOTE: Substitute the chicken for strips of tofu to make this a vegetarian egg roll recipe!
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat a nonstick wok or large skillet with non fat cooking spray.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook over medium heat for 30 seconds; add chicken to skillet.
- Brown chicken, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to break chicken into small pieces, about 5 minutes; drain off all liquid.
- Stir in teriyaki sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger, salt, pepper, and cumin; simmer for 3 minutes to blend flavors.
- Toss in packaged coleslaw mix and diced onions and saute for about 1 minute.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat work surface with the corners set vertically (pointing up and down like a diamond shape). Arrange 4 full tablespoons of filling down the center of wrapper, leaving 1/2 inch at the bottom and top.
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper to the center, over the filling. Gently, but firmly, fold the left side of the wrapper to the center and then fold in the right side.
- Fold the top of the wrapper down to cover filling and seal any loose ends with water; repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Place filled wrappers on prepared baking sheet; lightly spray surface of wrappers with non fat cooking spray.
- Bake until wrappers are golden brown, flipping once, about 16 minutes.
Entire Recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 Baked Egg Roll and approx. 1 tbsp of Sweet and Sour Sauce
Each serving = 2 Points