Just the idea of fried, breaded zucchini sticks gets my mouth watering! But if I want to keep my daily Weight Watchers Points low, then those yummy fried delights are a definite no-no.
So in an effort to create low calorie fried foods recipes, I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting and coming up with some really tasty and healthy recipes.
The one that I’ll share today is a Faux Fried Zucchini Strips Recipe. Yes, they’re not really “fried”, they are baked, but they still taste amazingly good and, in my opinion, have much more flavor than the fatty fried version.
Though this is not an official Weight Watchers Zucchini Sticks Recipe, anyone who is a weight watcher trying to eat healthier and still enjoy good food will definitely enjoy this 1 Point appetizer recipe.
Baked Zucchini Sticks Recipe
- 2 medium sized zucchini
- 1/2 cup regular Fiber One Cereal
- 1/2 cup egg whites or egg substitute mix
- 1 tbsp granulated onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice each zucchini lengthwise, and then cut each half lengthwise again. Now, cut each strip in half. This should make a total of 16 sticks. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, process the Fiber One Cereal until it becomes a breadcrumb like consistency.
- Combine the cereal mix into a small bowl with onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- In another small bowl, pour in the egg whites or egg substitute.
- To bread your sticks, dip each zucchini stick into egg whites and shake off excess. Then dip into cereal mixture and coat all sides of strips evenly. Continue until all zucchini strips are breaded.
- Spray a baking sheet with no fat cooking spray and place all the breaded zucchini sticks onto the baking sheet.
- Pop into the oven and cook until sticks start to brown – about 15 minutes.
- Serve with 2 tbsp marinara sauce for no additional points
Entire Recipe makes 2 servings
Serving size = 8 sticks
Each serving = 1 Point