This Sausage, Artichoke and Broccoli Casserole Recipe is a great low calorie meal idea to serve for just about any meal.
It’s full of yummy flavors and with just a 5 Points per serving, it’s really quite satisfying. Pair this Italian casserole with a zero Point salad for a complete meal.
My whole family loved this dish, and had no idea that it was Weight Watchers friendly!
Sausage, Artichoke and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 12 oz fresh Italian bread, cut bread into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups fresh broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 9 oz raw turkey or chicken Italian style sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- nonfat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and lightly coat with non fat cooking spray. Bake about 15 minutes, or until bread is lightly browned. Take out of oven and reduce oven temperature to 350ºF.
- While bread is baking, spray a large skillet with non fat cooking spray, and sauté garlic, broccoli and onion wedges until veggies are tender. When they are ready, turn off heat and set aside
- In another large, nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Brown sausage, breaking it up as it cooks, approx 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in artichokes, broccoli and onion, bread cubes, broth, oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with non fat cooking spray. Spoon 3 cups broccoli and sausage mixture into prepared dish and cover with just 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Top with remaining broccoli and sausage mixture and then cover with remaining cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Cut into 8 equally sized portions.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1/8 of casserole
Each serving = 5 Points