In the mood for some traditional soul food recipes that don’t take hours to prepare and are low in Points? Well this delicious, quick and easy Chicken Gumbo Recipe is sure to make you smile.
Get your New Orleans grub on and use up only a 4 Points for a serving that’s 1 1/2 cups!! Not bad! Plus, it’s loaded with veggies and protein, so it ends up being pretty darn healthy too. Just by making a few small changes, you can enjoy this classic southern dish, for a lot less points!
And though this is not and official Weight Watchers Gumbo Recipe, this is definitely a dish for all dieters to enjoy.
Low Calorie Chicken Gumbo Recipe
- 1 16 oz package frozen gumbo-style vegetables(okra, peppers, onions, etc)
- 12 oz grilled chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 ribs celery,chopped
- 1 4oz can of mild chiles
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 29 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Creole Seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp all-purpose, whole wheat flour
** For an even more traditional version, add in some Miracle Noodle Orzo to substitute for rice for 0 additional Points!!!
- Spray a large skillet with nonfat cooking spray.
- Add garlic, celery and veggies and sauté over high heat, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in tomatoes, chicken, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Creole seasoning.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently for about 6-7 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 4 Points