Since temperatures have been pretty high this past week, I convinced my husband to break out the grill for one last summer grilling recipe. This light and lean Grilled Flank Steak with Asparagus and Onions was a HUGE success!!
I love steak, but being a Weight Watchers member, I usually avoid this dish. So I was thrilled when I came across this flank steak recipe. It’s SO flavorful, and the asparagus and onions help to bulk up the serving, so it’s actually quite satisfying.
And with just a 4 Points per serving, this is a fabulous weight watchers steak recipe. Get those grills back out, folks!
Grilled Flank Steak Recipe, with Asparagus and Onions
- 1 1/2 pound raw lean flank steak
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus spears
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tsp Kosher salt divided
- In a shallow glass dish (or sealable food storage bag), mix vinegar, oil, oregano, garlic and pepper. Add steak; turn to coat, making sure steak is coated with vinegar mixture. Cover dish (or seal bag); marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat outdoor grill.
- Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade.
- Sprinkle steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Coat onions and asparagus with non stick cooking spray; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Grill steak, turning once, until medium rare, about 15 minutes, or longer for desired degree of doneness. Let steak rest for 10 minutes.
- While steak is resting, grill onions and asparagus spears, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 7 to 9 minutes.
- To serve, thinly slice steak against the grain and place on a serving platter; scatter onions over top.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 3 ½ oz of steak, 4-5 asparagus spears and 1/3 cup onions
Each serving = 4 Points