photo credit: gourmet.com
Ok, I admit that I’m a bit obsessed with butternut squash lately, but can you blame me? It’s everywhere right now, it’s incredibly healthy, versatile and delicious. I just can’t help myself. And while browsing through some Weight Watchers Fall Casserole Recipes, I came across one that I revamped and made into a super yummy and healthy dinner.
This Butternut Squash and Pasta Casserole Recipe was the perfect low calorie meal idea and my family loved it! Still with all the fabulous fall flavors I was hoping for, each serving had just a 4 Points. And it was so hearty and filling!
If you are looking for a quick and easy casserole idea to try, that’s friendly to Weight Watchers, this one is a must try. Enjoy!
Pasta and Butternut Squash Casserole Recipe
- 12 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta, or any whole wheat, high fiber pasta
- 20 oz butternut squash, fresh, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free skim milk
- 2 tbsp whole wheat, all-purpose flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with non stick cooking spray (preferably the butter flavored kind).
- Place squash on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with a bit of salt; roast until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Place in a large bowl.
- In the meantime, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, butter, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir in squash, thyme and sage. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat.
- Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish; dollop with spoonfuls of ricotta and then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until top is lightly browned in a few spots, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points