photo credit: bfeedme
One of my readers recently wrote in requesting some Weight Watchers panini recipes, so I spent a little time in the kitchen yesterday and came up with this seriously to die for Grilled Eggplant and Basil Goat Cheese Panini Recipe, that is only 4 Points, but tastes like it’s about 20 Points!!
It’s really that good. They key is cutting your eggplant thin, and toasting your bread very well, otherwise, the sandwich can get a bit soggy. But the distinctive flavor of the goat cheese goes perfectly with the basil and the grilled eggplant.
This sandwich not only tastes amazing, but it’s loaded with veggies, high in fiber, and is very healthy. If you are looking for a good vegetarian sandwich recipe, this one’s a keeper.
Try pairing it with some 0 Points soups for an incredibly low calorie meal!
Grilled Eggplant Panini Recipe with Basil Goat Cheese
- 8 slices whole-wheat, light bread (I used Sara Lee Delightful)
- 8 1/2-inch slices eggplant, (about 1 small)
- 4oz goat cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, seeded, peeled and quartered
- 4 slices red onion
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- Preheat grill or Panini press to a medium-high.
- Combine goat cheese, basil and garlic in a small bowl.
- Lightly spray both sides both sides of eggplant with non fat cooking spray and sprinkle each slice with salt. Then lightly spray each slice of bread with the cooking spray.
- Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, and continue grilling until the the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more.
- Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil goat cheese on four slices of bread. Top with the eggplant, red peppers, onion, lettuce and the remaining slices of bread.
- Cut in half and serve warm.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 sandwich
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 225 calories; 9g fat; 14g carbohydrates; 12g protein; 7g fiber