If you are looking for a manly, meaty, but still Weight Watchers friendly, Superbowl Recipe, then this Beer Braised Brisket with Chili Sauce Recipe is it!! LOADED with flavor…tang and heat, it’s hard to believe that it’s just 6 Points per serving.
The meat is SO tender and juicy, and the sauce is amazingly yummy. Plus, if you are fortunate enough to have any leftover, it heats up really well the next day! By making a few changes and substitutions, I took a couple of traditional brisket recipes and made them a lot more feasible for those of us who want to indulge on Superbowl Sunday, but not feel hungover with regret on Monday morning.
This low Points Super Bowl Recipe would be an amazing addition to your party feast. Enjoy!
Beer Braised Brisket Recipe with Chile Sauce
- 2 lbs boneless beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup any Mexican lager (I used Dos Equis)
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 5 orange rinds, cut into thin strips
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 5 dried Anaheim chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Tear chiles into 1-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Cover with hot water and let sit until softened, at least 20 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place tomatoes and their juices, tomato paste, cilantro, onion, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, crushed red pepper, cumin, salt, pepper, and the drained chile pieces in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and mix in beer.
- Spray a large Dutch oven with non fat cooking spray, and place over medium heat.
- Add brisket and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes total.
- Pour the chile sauce over the meat and add in orange rinds, then bring to a simmer.
- Cover, transfer to the oven and bake for 2 hours.
- Stir in beans green pepper strips, and continue baking until the meat is tender and begins to fall apart, about an hour more.
- Take out the orange rinds and transfer the meat to a cutting board. Shred the meat using two forks.
- Stir the shredded meat back into the sauce. Dig in!
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 cup
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 265 calories; 7 g fat; 18 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 6 g fiber