photo credit: pinch my salt
Good, healthy casserole recipes are not always easy to find, but this new spin on a traditional Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe lets you enjoy the benefit of making a quick and easy meal, while still providing a healthy, low calorie dinner.
By making a few substitutions, this Tuna Noodle Casserole maintains it’s delicious flavor, and creamy, cheesy texture, but with a lot less fat and calories, thus making it lower in WW Points. Each nicely sized serving is just 9 Points, and is loaded with fiber and protein.
Good served alone or with some low PointsPlus side dishes, this casserole recipe makes a GREAT meal for any Weight Watcher!
Tuna Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles
- 2 5oz cans chunk light tuna, drained
- 3/4 frozen peas, thawed
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Fiber One breadcrumb mixture
- 1 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook noodles until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, asparagus, mushrooms and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat.
- Add milk and pepper and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tuna, peas and 1/2 cup Parmesan until evenly incorporated.
- Then, stir in the noodles (the pan will be very full). Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the casserole with Fiber One breadcrumbs and the cheddar cheese.
- Broil until bubbly and lightly browned on top, 3 to 4 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 ½ cups
Each serving = 9 Points
PER SERVING: 280 calories; 6g fat; 45g carbohydrates; 30g protein; 6g fiber