photo credit: last fm
This classic southern comfort food recipe is often a popular dish for breakfast lunch or dinner. But the traditional form can pack a whopping 15-22 Points per serving…YIKES!
Now just because you are watching your weight doesn’t mean you have to give up on Country Fried Steak Recipes. Just try this slimmed down version, adapted from Paula Dean’s Country Fried Steak and Gravy Recipe, and you’ll save yourself a whole lot of extra fat and calories.
With just 6 Points per serving, you can enjoy this southern food favorite and feel not an ounce of guilt.
Guess this means I better come up with a good, low Points Biscuit Recipe now?
Country Fried Steak and Gravy Recipe
- 1 lb lean cube steak, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 4 portions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal, processed very fine, to breadcrumb consistency
- 1 ¼ cups fat free beef broth
- 1/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup cornstarch, plus 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all-purpose flour on a large plate. Place egg whites in a shallow dish.
- Whisk Fiber One breadcrumbs, whole-wheat flour, the 1/4 cup cornstarch, garlic and paprika in another shallow dish.
- Season both sides of steak with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Dredge the steak in the flour, shaking off excess; dip in the egg whites, then dredge in the Fiber One/flour mixture.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 2 pieces of the steak; cook until browned on both sides, turning once, 3 to 5 minutes total. Transfer the steak to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining pieces of steak.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add broth to the pan and boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to about 1 cup, approx 3 to 5 minutes.
- Whisk water and the remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch until smooth.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the left over Fiber One/flour mixture.
- Return to the heat and cook, stirring, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir in buttermilk; season with the remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve the steak topped with the gravy.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 steak with 1/4 of the gravy
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 288 calories; 8 g fat; 14 g carbohydrates; 33 g protein; 3 g fiber