photo credit: primal kitchen chaos
Sticking with the WW Italian Food Recipes, I thought I’d share this outrageously delicious Italian Meatballs Recipe. Each serving has just 6 Points, which really is not bad, considering that we’re talking about beef meatballs here.
Plus, this recipe makes 8 servings, so it’s great for a big family dinner or potluck. The cinnamon and nutmeg give the meat such a great flavor, and the sauce is so full bodied and delicious…no one will have any idea that this is a low calorie meatball recipe.
Italian Meatballs Recipe
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean)
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 2 cups whole-wheat bread, cubed
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 packet Splenda
- 2 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- Place bulgur in a medium bowl and cover generously with hot water. Let soak for 30 minutes. Drain in a fine sieve, pressing to remove excess liquid.
- Meanwhile, spray a large Dutch oven with nonfat cooking spray and place over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, oregano and ½ the garlic; cook, stirring, until softened but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Stir in canned tomatoes and bay leaves; increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low. Partially cover and let simmer while you prepare meatballs.
- Whisk egg substitute in a large bowl. Add the bulgur, the bread, beef, Parmesan, cinnamon, nutmeg, the rest of the garlic and the salt & pepper. Gently combine with a potato masher and/or your hands. If mixture seems too dry, add in 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Form into 28 meatballs, about 1 inch.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half the meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; blot with paper towels. Brown the remaining meatballs.
- Mash the simmering tomato sauce with a potato masher to break down any large chunks of tomato.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce.
- Add in the Splenda.
- Simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 50 minutes.
- Serve the meatballs with the sauce, and garnish with a sprinkle of fresh parsley.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 3 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 237 calories; 7 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 5 g fiber