photo credit: delish.com
This American take on a popular Italian Recipe is another deliciously decadent idea for a Mother’s Day Breakfast or Brunch. Strawberry Bruschetta is such a versatile dish — it can be used as a side dish with breakfast or brunch, an appetizer or even as a quick, low calorie dessert recipe.
Just by making a few small changes to the traditional strawberry bruschetta that Giada DeLaurentis makes, I was able to get the Points Value to just 5 Points per serving. It’s such an easy and effortless dish to make if you’ve got a serious sweet tooth and need a fast, low calorie alternative to a high calorie dessert.
I also love the idea of using this as a finger food recipe to serve at parties and get togethers! The warm berries release so much flavor, and the sweet syrup is such a delicious contrast to the cream cheese.
If you are looking to add another tasty dish to your list of Mother’s Day Brunch Recipes this year, this one will not disappoint.
Homemade Strawberry Bruschetta Recipe
A deliciously sweet and flavorful WW breakfast or dessert idea, this Strawberry Bruschetta is sure to impress! Rather than indulge in a high calorie dessert, try this palate pleaser instead, for just 5 Points per serving. It’ll make a great addition to your Mother’s Day Breakfast or as a weekday dessert idea.
- 4 thick slices whole-wheat bread
- 3 cups diced fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 5 tbsp light brown sugar
- 4 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- Toast bread in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over high heat. Add sugar and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until the sugar melts and the mixture begins to bubble, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Add strawberries and stir until juices begin to exude and the berries are heated through, 30 seconds to 1 minute more.
- Spread 1 tbsp light cream cheese on each piece of toast. Top with the warm berries.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 slice
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 166 calories; 3g fat; 38 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber