Inspired by a desire to get my toddler to eat more vegetables and one of Paula Deen’s Recipes, I came up with this healthier version of her Creamed Spinach Recipe, and was really amazed by how yummy it was!
Initially, the idea of creamed spinach kinda weirded me out. But I’m willing to try just about anything with cheese on it, and since each serving of this dish came out to just 2 points +, I figured it was worth a shot, as I really wanted a new healthy side dish recipe that could be prepared quickly.
It literally took me about 10 minutes to make and it was a huge hit! Granted, it tool some coaxing to get my son to taste it, as he immediately turns his nose up at anything green, but one he tried it, he gobbled it down! As did my picky husband.
This low calorie, vegetarian side dish recipe is going to be a staple around here now, that’s for sure!
Creamed Spinach Recipe
This traditional sounthern recipe gets a healthy facelift! Who knew creamed spinach could taste so good and have just 2 Points per serving!?!? This dish makes a great idea for a healthy side dish recipe that is low on calories but high in taste and nutrition.
- 1 16oz bag frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup fat free ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp fat free milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- Spray a large skillet with non fat cooking spray (preferably the butter flavored kind) and set over medium heat.
- Add in the shallots and cook until softened.
- Add in the spinach and garlic and cook until spinach is heated through (about 3-4 minutes).
- Stir in milk, ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook until mixture is heated through (about 2-3 minutes).
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1/2 cup
Each serving = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 87 calories; 2g fat; 7 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber